History of Avoca
Avoca Beach is named after the Irish village, Avoca, in County Wicklow,
famous as the location for the filming of the TV series Ballykissangel.
The name means "great estuary" or "where the river meets the sea".
Interestingly, "Bulbararong", the Aboriginal name for this bay, has a similar meaning.
Bulbararong was a popular gathering place for the Aboriginal people before white
settlement. In the place now known as Hunter Park, is the site of a
midden, which provides evidence of a feasting place. So perhaps it's
no surprise that today this ancient gathering place hosts both the Picture
Theatre and the Surf Club, twin hubs of community life at Avoca Beach.
In 1830, 640 acres were granted to Irish army officer John Moore. who built
a house opposite Avoca Lake and planted vines, cereals and fruit trees.
Timber was later felled from the area and was transported by tram to a mill
at Terrigal via what is now Tramway Road in North Avoca. Citrus and banana crops were also grown.
Avoca Beach today is a busy coastal resort village with cafés and restaurants, safe
swimming and surfing. It's especially notable for its active artistic
community, many of whom will be exhibiting in the Connections exhibition
upstairs in the Surf Club, showing their sculptures in the Ephemera
exhibition on the beach or painting outdoors, live at Terrigal.